Bryn Mawr Country Club
In late 1919, Harry Goldstine and Associates purchased a tract of 139 acres on the northwest corner of Devon Avenue and Pulaski Road in what was then the village of Morton Grove, IL for $166,800. It was originally planned for residential development, but a group of North Side families persuaded Goldstine that the land would be better used as a golf club.
The property was purchased by this group at its original cost, and Bryn Mawr Country Club was created. An 18-hole championship golf course was designed by William Langford, and a rambling country style frame building-already on the property-was converted into the first clubhouse. Goldstine became the club's first president.
In 1926, construction began on a new English Tudor clubhouse that was completed in 1927. For decades, the club and its membership thrived, surviving in good times and bad, even the Great Depression. During World War II, 124 members served in the armed forces, five of whom lost their lives. Following the war, second and third generation Bryn Mawr families joined the club.
On February 11, 1986, the clubhouse was destroyed by fire. A temporary facility was erected while the clubhouse was rebuilt. Two years later, on May 28, 1988, the new clubhouse was formally opened. With the new clubhouse came more modernization- non-related women were granted full membership.
A major refurbishing of the upper level of the clubhouse and Grill Room was undertaken in 2009. Improvements also were made to the golf course, including a new irrigation system, sand bunkers and forward tees. The club also expanded its programs to embrace the increasing number of families with small children as well as its tennis and social members.
In April, 2013, the lower level of the clubhouse was severely damaged by a record flooding rainfall. A year later, a newly designed lower level was unveiled, which included state-of-the-art Men's and Women's locker rooms, a new corridor connecting the elevator to the Grill Room and swimming pool, an expanded children's lounge and a fully equipped fitness room.
Throughout its history, Bryn Mawr has cherished its heritage. While maintaining the continuity of its mission as one of the premier clubs in the country, Bryn Mawr also has embraced innovation and growth. Today it remains one of the finest private clubs in the Chicago area.