About Nelson Westerberg
In 1904, a small coal and ice moving company opened its doors in Chicago, called Nelson Westerberg. Today, the company has become a globally respected leader in the household goods moving and storage business. Nelson Westerberg was formed in 1904 when Fred Nelson and Oscar Westerberg opened a small coal and ice moving company. Two men and a team of horses were the unlikely beginning of what would become an extraordinary company – a globally respected leader in the relocation industry with an unprecedented reputation for peerless service and a relentless desire to continually improve, innovate, and expand.
- Began moving coal and ice using a team of horses
- Begins moving pianos and other bulky furniture
- Begins moving families and their household goods
- First chain-driven truck used for transportation. Last team of horses used in 1928.
- Second generation, Richard Westerberg, joins the company and continues to grow and maintain NW’s status as one of Chicagoland’s top household goods movers.
1920 – 1960
- NW completes first office move for Protection Mutual Insurance Company.
- Today, NW provides commercial relocation services that include moving offices within the same building, on campus or state-to-state using experienced project managers, attention to detail procedures, and on time/on budget results.
- Third generation, John Westerberg, joins the company.
1960 – 1970
- NW becomes an agent of Atlas Van Lines and refocuses its target market to relocation needs of corporations.
- NW creates Single Source Responsibility; a current industry trademark of Atlas Van Lines.
- NW becomes a top 5 agent of Atlas Van Lines.
1970 – 1980
- NW opens a full service agency in New York/New Jersey.
- NW completes its first International move from Chicago, Illinois to London, England.
- Today, NW freight forwards shipments around the globe.
1980 – 2000
- NW opens a full service agency in Dallas, Texas.
- NW opens a full service agency in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Rexam, formerly known as American National Can Corporation, becomes our first Quarter Century Partner.
- Since then, our “Quarter Century Partnership” program has recognized twenty-four additional companies who have received this recognition…and are still growing with us today!
- NW designs a proprietary move management customer database and installs computers throughout the organization.
- Fourth generation, Stephen Westerberg, joins the company and begins to work alongside drivers and customer service representatives. Steve is currently Vice President.
2000 – present
- Nelson Westerberg International installs TRAXX® operating system. TRAXX® integrates all communications and functions into one web-based system.
- NWII becomes quality certified under FIDI/FAIM.
- Marks the 100th Anniversary of Nelson Westerberg! NW is a moving partner to 18% of the Fortune 100 companies.
- NW opens a full service agency in Los Angeles.
- Nelson Westerberg experiences record setting year in total household good relocations.