About Nelson Westerberg
In 1904, a small coal and ice moving company opened its doors in Chicago, called Nelson Westerberg. Today, the company has become a globally respected leader in the household goods moving and storage business and one of the best moving companies in Chicago. Nelson Westerberg was formed in 1904 when Fred Nelson and Oscar Westerberg opened a small coal and ice moving company. Two men and a team of horses were the unlikely beginning of what would become an extraordinary company – a globally respected leader in the relocation industry with an unprecedented reputation for peerless service and a relentless desire to continually improve, innovate, and expand.
- Began moving coal and ice using a team of horses
- Begins moving pianos and other bulky furniture
- Begins moving families and their household goods
- First chain-driven truck used for transportation. Last team of horses used in 1928.
- Second generation, Richard Westerberg, joins the company and continues to grow and maintain NW’s status as one of Chicagoland’s top household goods movers.
1920 – 1960
- NW completes first office move for Protection Mutual Insurance Company.
- Today, NW provides commercial relocation services that include moving offices within the same building, on campus or state-to-state using experienced project managers, attention to detail procedures, and on time/on budget results.
- Third generation, John Westerberg, joins the company.
1960 – 1970
- NW becomes an agent of Atlas Van Lines and refocuses its target market to relocation needs of corporations.
- NW creates Single Source Responsibility; a current industry trademark of Atlas Van Lines.
- NW becomes a top 5 agent of Atlas Van Lines.
1970 – 1980
- NW opens a full service agency in New York/New Jersey.
- NW completes its first International move from Chicago, Illinois to London, England.
- Today, NW freight forwards shipments around the globe.
1980 – 2000
- NW opens a full service agency in Dallas, Texas.
- NW opens a full service agency in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Rexam, formerly known as American National Can Corporation, becomes our first Quarter Century Partner.
- Since then, our “Quarter Century Partnership” program has recognized twenty-four additional companies who have received this recognition…and are still growing with us today!
- NW designs a proprietary move management customer database and installs computers throughout the organization.
- Fourth generation, Stephen Westerberg, joins the company and begins to work alongside drivers and customer service representatives. Steve is currently Vice President.
2000 – present
- Nelson Westerberg International installs TRAXX® operating system. TRAXX® integrates all communications and functions into one web-based system.
- NWII becomes quality certified under FIDI/FAIM.
- Marks the 100th Anniversary of Nelson Westerberg! NW is a moving partner to 18% of the Fortune 100 companies.
- NW opens a full service agency in Los Angeles.
- Nelson Westerberg experiences record setting year in total household good relocations.
Nelson Westerberg – Headquarter Illinois
Nelson Westerberg – Texas
Nelson Westerberg – New Jersey
Nelson Westerberg – Georgia
Nelson Westerberg – California